Friday, July 24, 2015

How the American Heart Association and the Red Cross Won #Sharknado3

My regular Pop Health readers know that (1) I love Sharknado and (2) I love to see how public health organizations capitalize on pop culture events (especially those accompanied by a large social media discussion) as an opportunity to advocate for health.

So I followed #Sharknado3 on Wednesday night...and was surprised that a large number of organizations DID NOT take advantage of the opportunity to talk about public health.

However, the American Heart Association and the American Red Cross (along with their local affiliates) did a great job of tweeting throughout the movie, using humor to engage users, and starting a dialogue about important topics from emergency preparedness to CPR. Below are some of my favorites, please comment and tell me yours!

The American Heart Association




The American Red Cross









No comments:

Post a Comment